Alexandria, Va., February 26, 2002 - Continuing its 20+ year tradition of developing and maintaining electronic data interchange (EDI) standards, the ANSI Accredited Standards Committee (ASC) X12 is actively crafting new transactions to enable essential exchange of information among multiple industries. At the most recent ASC X12 Meeting Feb. 3-8 in Seattle, ASC X12 completed work on and is balloting the following new transaction sets (TS), which will be published this summer if approved:
- Tax Jurisdiction Sourcing (TS 158) - developed by the ASC X12 Government Subcommittee - transmits any address in the U.S. Postal Service format from a wireless telecommunications vendor to the tax jurisdiction sourcing information holder for the state in which the address resides. In exchange, the wireless service provider receives the set of taxing jurisdictions having governance over the address in question. This TS meets the requirements of the 2000 Mobile Telecommunications Sourcing Act (MTSA), which provides the industry with a method of determining the correct taxing jurisdictions for wireless service.
- Residential Mortgage Insurance Explanation of Benefits (TS 259) - developed by the ASC X12 Finance Subcommittee - transmits the results of a claim for mortgage insurance benefits between a mortgage insurer and the customer receiving the financial benefit. This TS will be used for transmitting the results of both pool and primary mortgage insurance claims.
Committee representatives completed work on the next ASC X12 Version 4, Release 5, Subrelease 1, which includes 314 TSs and will be available in late March 2002. ASC X12 also approved the following new project proposal:
- Equipment Inspection Report - under development by the X12 Transportation Subcommittee - is slated to be used by transportation carriers to provide equipment owners with the results of an equipment inspection activity, including the ability to convey details of damages to equipment.
To drive committee initiatives, the following elections occurred:
- ASC X12 Education Subcommittee elected Clare Smith-Larson of American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers as Vice Chair
- ASC X12 Communications and Controls re-elected Peter D. Pruyne of SysCom Strategies, Inc., as Chair and Mike Rawlins of Rawlins EC Consulting as Vice Chair
- ASC X12 Procurement and Distribution elected Frances J. Moser of the Uniform Code Council as Chair and Lee Bowers of the American Textile Manufacturers Institute as Vice Chair
About ASC X12
The Accredited Standards Committee (ASC) X12, accredited by the American National Standards Institute and comprised of cross-industry representation, develops robust e-business exchange specifications and EDI standards that interact with a multitude of e-commerce technologies and serve as the premier tool for integrating electronic applications. Through standards setting and active participation in emerging and technically relevant initiatives, ASC X12 facilitates the effective exchange of electronic information. Propelling global e-business, ASC X12 serves as the entry point for the United States into the United Nations/Electronic Data Interchange for Administration, Commerce and Transport (UN/EDIFACT), an international standard relating to the exchange of trade goods and services. To learn more about ASC X12, visit www.x12.org or call 703-837-6155.