Procedures Review Board
Purpose And Scope
A. To ensure that due process was followed and consensus was reached in all ASC X12
standards, guidelines, and interpretations development and maintenance so that all
participants have confidence in the fairness of the results. The PRB will not act on
B. The PRB provides the same functionality to the working groups of ASC X12 that the
Board of Standards Review provides to the Accredited Standards Committees of ANSI.
That is, to establish that substantial agreement (consensus) has been reached by directly
and materially affected and interested members of ASC X12 in the development and
maintenance of standards and guidelines, to ensure all views and objections are
considered, and that a concerted effort is made toward their resolution.
C. The PRB shall base its judgment, as to whether due process was followed, by comparing the actual events to the ASC X12 procedures as documented in the ASC X12 OPM, any applicable standing documents of ASC X12, and any documented interpretation of the OPM, or standing documents of the ASC X12 Steering Committee or any applicable X12 subcommittee. In the absence of applicable documentation the PRB shall use its best judgement as to what is in the best interest of the EDI user community.
D. Specific functions of the PRB include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Approve new project proposals as official X12 work items. It is the responsibility
of the PRB to determine whether the proposal is within the scope of ASC X12 and
is consistent with other existing or developing ASC X12 standards and guidelines.
2. Assign or reassign transaction sets and other draft proposed standards, guidelines,
and project proposals to X12 subcommittees and task groups for development and
3. Provide a forum for the resolution of procedural issues (differences) between
4. Provide a forum for continuing objections to be resolved and, if needed, refer the
ballot item back to the developing body if due process was not followed.
5. Authorize X12 Draft Standards for Trial Use, standards interpretations, and X12
Guidelines for the X12 balloting process.
6. Authorize X12 Draft Standards for Trial Use, standards interpretations, and X12
Guidelines for publication.
7. Authorize draft proposed American National Standards for the X12 balloting
process and public review.
8. Authorize draft proposed American National Standards for release to the ANSI
Board of Standards Review for consideration as American National Standards.
9. Authorize American National Standards for publication.
Currently no Officer/Chair information is available